Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The thought running through my mind now

I used to be Christian, so everything I'm gonna say is colored by that past reality.

I just read someone elses blog and the first two blog on the page were inspired by a Christian theme. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that, but there is something wrong with the condition of which that may be a symptom. I know because I have been there. And no longer being there I can see what was do horribly wrong with it.

The condition of which I speak is the compulsion to surround yourself with nothing but Christian people, ideas, literature, music, etc. While it may sound nice and make you feel holy to be surrounded by nothing but Christianity, it really isn't healthy. I know from experience that most evangelicals will shoot me down for saying this, but I don't really care. haha. It makes your life so one-dimensional if everything you see, hear, touch, taste has Jesus written all over it. There is so many things of value in this world that you will not experience if all you see is Jesus and all you read is the Bible or books that quote the Bible.

You may choose to write this off as the incoherent ramblings of a discontented former Christian, and maybe they are, but I do think that there is some wisdom in it. There is something to be said for having a well-rounded life. Your spiritual journey should be important to you, but don't forget that there are things in life outside of Genesis through Revelation.

No comments: